The Govt. Institute of Engineering, Sonepat has been functioning under different names and styles since 1942. It was started by the Defence Department to improving the quality of Surgical Instruments, which were supplied to the Defence Department. In the post war phase, the function of this organization changed to bring about development in the field of manufacture of Surgical Instruments and Appliances. With the partition of India, the function were further enhanced to that of a training Institution with a view to feed the industry with specialized personnel at supervisory and artisan level.
Since 1951 when the Institute assumed training functions, it has been offering facilities for training of supervisory and skilled categories of specialties needed for the development of Surgical Industry in the country. The Institute had been catering for 3 year Diploma and Certificate courses respectively in Surgical Instruments manufacturing and specialized allied Trades. The certificate courses were later on discontinued from the year 1964.
Diploma vocational (Industrial Tool Manufacturing)